2017 Entry Instructions
Parade Date: September 2, 2017
Plan to be in the staging area by: 11:00 a.m. if you would like to be judged
Sun Valley Road Closure: 12:30 a.m.
Parade Start Time: 1 p.m.
Please read carefully.
- Please read all signage and follow flaggers.
- All entries will stage at the Horseman’s Center Pasture, across the street from the ice rink on Dollar Road in Sun Valley.
- Upon entering Ketchum turn east onto Sun Valley Road. From Sun Valley Road turn right onto Dollar Road. The Registration/Staging Area is located on your right at the entrance to the Horseman’s Center Pasture.
- There is no entry at the Horseman’s Center off of Sun Valley Road. All entries must enter from Dollar Road. Traffic directors and signage will direct you.
- All entries must check in at the Registration/Staging area. Upon checking in you will receive your registration packet.
- You may enter the staging area anytime after 8 a.m. Wagon Days volunteers will lead you to your numbered staging areas.
Only vehicles towing horse trailers will be allowed into the staging area.
Reserved parking for entries driving passenger cars is located at the entrance to Registration/Staging.
- All persons entering the staging area will be required to sign a liability waiver in order to enter Sun Valley Company property (staging area) if you are unwilling to sign this waiver you will not be able to participate in the parade.
The following guidelines have been established to ensure the well being of horses and the safety of parade participants and watchers in the Puyallup Fair Western Rodeo Parade.
Safety is the primary concern; therefore it is required that all participants be experienced parade riders. There will be no exceptions!
Participants are asked to follow these guidelines in order to protect horses and people in the parade from injury. Parade officials will ensure compliance with these guidelines. Any rider or animal deemed unsafe will be removed from parade.
Drivers of all wagons, carriages, stages, hitches or other vehicles pulled by horses may be required to take training classes, if parade officials deem necessary.
- Due to safety concerns, no tossing of candy or other items to spectators.
- All units must maintain a forward motion
- All horses must be properly trimmed or shod.
- Only experienced riders who have previous experience riding on their own horse in another parade will be permitted in the parade.
- Horses must be in good condition for the possible heat, and the long walk.
- Horses must be sound, with no evidence of lameness.
- A veterinarian must be on call to immediately respond to any injuries.
- Mistreatment, rough handling or abuse of horses will not be tolerated.
- Any overly excited horse will be asked to leave the parade by parade officials.
- Mounted riders are not allowed to pick up spectators during the parade.
- Only one rider per horse is permitted.
- Horses should be kept a minimum of six to ten feet from spectators.
- During the parade, participants should never get closer than twenty feet from preceding parade participant.
- Anticipate that horses may become excited or spooked by loud music, marching bands, explosive devices, wind-blown paper or streamers.
- The use of cigarettes, alcohol or illegal substances are forbidden.
- No profanity along the parade route.
Parade Participant Red Barn Camp
In order to camp or park overnight you must be participating in the parade. If you requested to camp you will be required to have a RED overnight parking pass for each vehicle.
- Your pass will be issued to you when you arrive. Please be prepared to tell the check in person at the gate your assigned entry number.
- Overnight camping is located in the pasture behind the red barn on Sun Valley Road. The red barn is just beyond the Idaho Power paddle wheel on the right. The entrance is just beyond the red barn.
- You may only stay Friday and Saturday night. No entry prior to noon on Friday. Please, plan to vacate Sunday morning. Absolutely no fires are allowed.
- All Red Barn campers will be required to sign a liability waiver in order to stay on Sun Valley Company property. If you are unwilling to sign this waiver please make other arrangements for camping.
If you choose to have your entry judged please read the instructions below.
Pre-judging is required for entries in the new wagon, restored/original wagon, carts, buggies and carriage categories.
Pre-judging will take place at 11 a.m.
- Entries will not be required to be in costume or have horses hitched for pre-judging.
- All categories, including the pre-judged wagons, will be judged during the parade. The Judging Stand is on Sun Valley Road in front of the Idaho Power Water Wheel.
DO NOT STOP AT THE JUDGING STAND.
Prizes for all categories will be awarded at the post parade picnic following the parade.
First place plaques and cash prizes will be awarded: $300 for first, $200 for second and $100 for third place. We reserve the right to combine or create categories.
Local Resident Groups
Please try to minimize the number of cars coming to the Registration/Staging area; meet your group elsewhere and come together to the Registration/Staging area. There is limited parking available and dropping off people increases the congestion if done one at a time. We suggest you drop off at the Community School Parking Lot and then meet your party there after the parade. Be sure to tell all group members your entry number before parade day, as this helps minimize confusion at the check-in.
Entries Renting Wagons and Teams
You need to come a little early with some rags and be prepared to clean the seats on the wagons, as well as load straw bales, if you are in need of them. All will be located in the Registration/Staging area.
- At check-in, you will receive two signs with your designated entry numbers. Fasten them toward the front of your wagon, on the right and left hand sides of your entry. The announcing stands are located at: 1. On Sun Valley Road near the Horseman’s Center 2. Bitterroot Road & Sun Valley Road; 3. Across from the Red Barn on Sun Valley Road 4. St. Thomas Episcopal Church (on Sun Valley Road). 5.The Elephant’s Perch (corner of Sun Valley Road and East Ave.); 6. Zion's Bank (corner of Sun Valley Road and Main Street by the stoplight); 7. Formula Sports (on Main Street.); and 8. Backwoods (Sun Valley Road). .
- Please keep about fifty feet between each entry while in the parade. Help us keep the parade moving and free of gaps. Wagon, buggies/carriages, and carts will receive entry signs. Signs do not need to be returned.
- The City’s ambulance team and emergency medical technicians will be at the Registration/Staging Area.
- There will be portable toilets in the red barn pasture, Registration/Staging area.
- Please bring your own drinking water and plenty of it.
- Water for the horses is at the Red Barn and Registration/Staging area.
Signage and decoration of Wagons
The Wagon Days Committee is very determined to make the parade as authentic as possible. Therefore, there are several guidelines concerning political signs must be followed.
- Signs may not be larger than 2 feet by 3 feet. Each entry may not have more than 2 signs or one sign that is 4’ by 6’.
- For Political Candidates - All candidates and helpers must be in western dress.
- The Wagon Days Committee provides signs for sponsored entries.
- No entrant is allowed to pass out political literature or candy along the parade route. Any entrant with candy will be asked to leave the parade.
WE CANNOT ALLOW CANDY TO BE THROWN BECAUSE OF THE POSSIBLE DANGER TO HORSES AND CHILDREN.
WE ALSO DO NOT ALLOW BALLOONS, DISCHARGING OF GUNS OR WATER GUNS, BIKES OR INLINE SKATES IN THE PARADE. (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF OUR POOPER-SCOOPERS!)
Parade Participant Picnic and Award Ceremony
We hope you will join us, after the parade for a complimentary lunch for all the parade entries.
- You will receive your “lunch” ticket at the registration desk.
- Each person that actually rides in the parade will receive a lunch ticket. If you have friends or family that would like to attend the picnic with you a ticket may be purchased for $5. Thank you for understanding! Please help us continue to provide a free lunch for the parade participants by purchasing a lunch ticket for guests. The rising costs of food and unpaid for guests has increased our picnic budget significantly. We would like to continue this tradition.
- The location of the picnic is the Sun Valley Meadows. The lot next to the Catholic Church, an easy walk from the parade staging area.
- Awards will be announced at the picnic. Ribbons will be given out at the picnic and prize checks will be mailed.
Other Events and Activities
Visit www.wagondays.com for a schedule of events. Events and activities are presented valley wide, all weekend long. We hope that you enjoy your stay.
The Wagon Days parade, a special event sponsored by the City, is an event covered by the city’s liability policy. If accidents or injuries occur during the parade to the extent that the City of Ketchum is liable for such injuries or accidents, then the city’s liability insurance will be in effect.
We are delighted to have you with us this year!
The Wagon Days Committe